Student Teaching

Home / About the Major / Student Teaching

Student teaching is a full semester practicum in a public school classroom under the joint supervision of a classroom teacher and a university supervisor. This experience occurs at the end of a student’s program, after all other requirements have been completed. Student teaching is offered only during fall or winter semesters.

Applications for student teaching, and subsequent teacher certification, are due mid-January for the next fall semester, and mid-September for the next winter semester. Application forms and exact application deadlines can be accessed on-line at

After a student is accepted for student teaching, assignments are made and the student is informed of the placement.  Although students are allowed to state preferences for where they would like to student teach, it is not always possible to honor these requests.  Student teachers are typically paired to work together with a single classroom teacher.  This allows students to give each other feedback and to have more time to reflect and prepare for their classes, because each student teacher is responsible for only half of the cooperating teacher’s workload.  Mentoring and evaluations will be provided by the cooperating classroom teacher as well as by the university supervisor.

Students who wish to have a student teaching experience outside of Utah may want to consider applying for the Houston or Washington D.C. programs.  For more information on these, please go to

Occasionally students are unable to complete their student teaching in Utah Valley because of extenuating circumstances, such as a spouse going to graduate school in a different state.  Sometimes it is possible to arrange for a courtesy placement to student teach in the location the student must move to.  For more information on courtesy placement, please see the counselors in the Education Student Services Office in 350 MCKB.

There is an extremely limited opportunity to fulfill the student teaching requirement by completing a year-long internship with a school that belongs to the BYU-Public Schools Partnership.  Internships always begin in the fall.  The application deadline for an internship is mid-January.  For more information on internships, see

The course number for student teaching is Mthed 476.